Friday, April 27, 2007

Just a cab ride away.

So I was lucky enough to catch a Chemical Brothers show last night. Apparently it was the place to be in Tokyo, if you knew about it. They posted the show just a day before. The club was three floors, the main dance floor with two floors of lounges over looking the 1st level.

I finally found the club about ten minutes after the doors opened and luckily got in line before it wrapped around the block. Apparently I was lucky to even get in. As soon as I walked in the door it was body to body through out most of the club, similar to the sardine feeling I've grown accustomed to on the Tokyo Subways.

About 30 minutes after I got there, it was like being in a mosh pit everywhere I walked, even while in line to get to the restrooms, the bar and in the spiral stairways connecting the three levels. It was almost too much, but it was the Chemical Brothers.

I made it about five hours in the club before I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm actually amazed I made it that long, I credit the red bull for this.

After I made it back to the train station, I realized that I missed the last train and would have to take a cab. No big deal, really. I didn't have much cash but the hotel previously offered to pay for my cabs and add the cost to my hotel bill without any additional surcharge. The problem was that I couldn't get a cab to pick me up.

I was standing at a taxi stand and cabs would almost pull over for me until they realized I was a Go Jin (anyone not Japanese). A couple that arrived at the taxi stand after me got a cab to pull over and offered it to me, but the driver immediately drove off when he realized what was going on.

About 10 minutes later, I struck up a conversation with a Japanese guy with good English skills also in search for a cab. I asked him if what was happening is commonplace, it is. So I put up my hood and pulled the strings as to cover up my blond hair and lowered my head while he flagged a cab for me. He told me to try to get in the cab before the driver noticed I was a Go Jin. It was very unlikely he would throw me out especially once he realized he could get a reasonably high fare out of me.

The driver didn't speak a word in English and yelled at me in Japanese once we arrived at the because he didn't understand I had to get the door guy to come outside to pay the fare. Luckily the door guy heard him from inside the sliding doors and took care of the situation. The door guy wouldn't tell me what the cabbie said but left it at, basically, that he was completely out of line.

The hotel told me to call them for a car if I get into this situation again and apologized for the ignorant Japanese people I've had to deal with. I pretty much expected something like this would happen at some point or another, I just didn't know when.

No comments: