Friday, October 28, 2005

Mini-vacation begins

I got to the airport in Baltimore on Friday about three hours before my flight just because I didn't know what else to do with myself. I killed most of the time finishing up some work that I didn't want to visit over the weekend but saved the last 30 minutes before the estimated boarding time to slam a couple Sam Adams Oktoberfest drafts. A buzz on an airplane is a great feeling. As I headed back to the gate, I was disappointed to discover the flight was delayed a little over an hour.
I notified the crew (Kyle, Kevin and Laura) and settled in a deserted area of seats across from the gate. I was buzzed and bored so I dove into the Spin magazine I had picked up earlier. I had already been stuck in the non-smoking airport for hours and I seriously thought another hour would kill me. I never expected that I would get so excited over actually boarding an airplane but as soon as I was in my seat, there was no wiping the smile off my face. It had been six weeks since I revisited the place I call home.

Kyle and Kevin walked in the Dayton airport sliding doors just as I was exiting the secure area, perfect timing. I pretty much ran out the door for a cigarette that actually gave me a buzz. We grabbed some coffee and such which were going to be much needed on the drive to Cincinnati and got the hell out of there.

We dropped Kevin at Sarah's and Kyle and I headed to Laura's so I could unload the luggage and fix my hair before heading to the infamous Murphy's pub for a little reunion.




No matter how long it's been since the last time I've been to Murphy's, nothing there has changed. I guess it provides a little comforts zone for me. I still know all the bartenders and I still walk through the door without anyone checking my ID.

We kept it in true after-hours style when they kicked us out of the bar. Laura, Kyle, Kevin, Pate and I headed over to Kevin's with our 12-pack of carry-out for some card playing and general chilling until we started dropping like flies, good times!

No comments: