Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Phoenix and Tacoma

We left Vegas around noon on Sunday and headed towards Phoenix. Both of us looked pretty rough but I was feeling ok so far. As the day progressed so did my hangover, Brian took over driving after we stopped for lunch, thankfully. It took us six hours to get to the Phoenix suburbs.




I had the day off on Monday which allowed me to get some paperwork done and hit the mall. I finally bought a pair of prescription sunglasses, which I don't think have left my head since. I'm sure it's not a big surprise when I tell you they are pink and silver. Once again retail therapy proves successful!

Work on Tuesday was miserable. We had an open house from 8 a.m. til about 1 p.m. in the over one hundred degree weather. Unfortunately for us, it is monsoon season in Arizona and the humidity levels have been up to a supposedly 70%. I thought I left that shit behind in Ohio. I was shocked that the first time I encountered rain in my first six weeks on the job was in the desert! We didn't even get any rain while we were in Seattle. It's funny how it works.

Brain flew back to Texas this morning so as of today I am officially an independent road warrior. We went to the Claim Jumper for dinner last night, an excellent choice I might add. After dinner we talked a little about some of the issues I've had lately and Brain helped me gain a new perspective on things. Thanks Brian, I much appreciate it.

At 7 a.m. this morning I drove to Tacoma with one of our reps who happens to be loving life at the ripe age of 71. I was a little nervous about the trip at first but the entire drive was spent telling stories and giving me a crash course in Arizona history.

The gentleman we worked with in Tacoma is also an old car fanatic and was nice enough to give me a tour of his garage. A mint 55 BelAir, 57 Thunderbird and a 68 Malibu all to drool over. I guess he got a great deal on the Thunderbird, half its blue book value, so I tried my hardest to get him to sell it to me while still being very polite. It didn't work, needless to say, but I was ready to hook it to the back of my truck and drive it straight to Ohio, a slight detour on my way to Omaha. I told him that if he did decide to sell it to call me, it only has 55,000 miles, it needs no restoration (all original) and it runs perfect, oh and it's black. I'm still drooling!

I made it back to my hotel in Phoenix around 2 p.m., hung out in the sun for awhile, hit the gym and now I get to run around town for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow I start my long haul to Omaha, a drive I'm spreading over four days or so. To my own surprise, there is no nervousness in my blood as of yet. Just me, my ipod and the open road, enough to make some jealous.

No comments: